Monday, May 5, 2008

The ends do not justify the means

English language and literature is my thing. It was my best and most enjoyed subject in all of school and then it was my major in college. Over the years since college I have tutored many students in English and I have edited many papers--and I even edited a business plan (the business failed--not my fault :D). I've also taught my own children through many years of homeschool. English is, obviously, the subject I teach best, and my love of it has influenced every one of my kids to one extent or another. We all love reading, although some of us are more into it than others are. I still read between 5 and 25 books a week (depending on the length and depth of the books) because reading is a passion with me.

With this volume of reading for so many years I have developed some strong opinions about the kind of literature I like (naturally) and also some strong opinions about what good literature is.

So that brings me to what I'm thinking about today. My daughter at college is reading Catcher in the Rye (JD Sallinger). She's at a church college and they've assigned her this book with swearing, sex, drinking, etc in it. Setting that little inconsistency aside (English departments in every college, be it ever so religious, are notoriously liberal), this book also has a rather negative message and it's not exactly uplifting. But somehow, over the years, it has become labeled a classic. A lot of people like it, a lot of people hate it (guess what category I am in?). BUT it is an example of what bothers me about this ends-justify-the-means approach to literature.

This approach says that if the book has a "valuable" message (and value is, of course, in the eye of the beholder--but we'll set that aside for now also), then it is worth reading. For this reason generations of students have read garbage like Lord of the Flies and depressing books like Tess of the Durbervilles and alcohol soaked books like The Great Gatsby and dark books like Heart of Darkness. And perhaps there are plenty of people who aren't bothered by books like this. I'm not crusading for my personal philosophies to be adopted by education in general. I'm just blogging.

But for my part, I HATE wading through the depressing or the profane or the ugly or the horrifying in the name of art or experience or education or even "edification". I am aware that art (be it written or visual) is too often all of these things (i.e. depressing, profane, horrifying, etc) and I am aware that all that nasty stuff is often called educational too. But it is NOT edifying. Or uplifting. And therefore cannot be truly educational.

And I'll tell you why. (Of course you knew I was getting to this).

All true learning comes from the source of total knowledge, right? Which is God. This doesn't mean that all learning happens from good and heavenly things. People can and do learn from awful experiences. But many people have awful experiences that they don't learn from. This is because some choose to seek peace and learning from bad experiences and some get bogged down in anger and bitterness. God makes the difference here. With a divine influence, bad experiences can be learned from. If no divine influence is sought, no learning takes place. There are plenty of examples of this.

And it is worth learning from people who have learned from their horrible experiences and seek to inspire and edify others from what they have learned. That's why we read Victor Frankl and other books of that kind (I just read one about the Rwandan holocaust called Left To Tell). These are uplifting accounts of a person's spiritual survival and growth during times of great and terrible duress. These are awful accounts shared in an uplifting way. They note the horror but concentrate on the beauty that followed. We have the priviledge of sharing the education without soaking ourselves in the horror and ugliness that these people survived.

But we don't seek awful experiences just for the sake of learning (or we shouldn't anyway). So why would we want to seek explicit, unhappy, disturbing, profane (etc) written accounts of things for the sake of education? Immersing oneself in the fictional account of a horrifying experience is FAR different from learning from the account of one who has truly experienced the horrifying and learned to rise above it. One is meant to titillate and the other is meant to inspire. BIG difference. A reader can feel the difference too, between an author who is angry and wants to spread their outrage and bitterness and an author who has found his/her peace and wants to share this.

To go further, CAN we truly learn when the spirit of God is not present? I say no. And can this spirit be present when we are reading profanity or ugliness or evil? I don't think so. Therefore I say that reading this kind of thing in the name of education is futile. You may come away having digested the author's message, but what will stay longer in your emotional memory? The message or the horror you felt on your way to getting the message?

And if, perchance, one is the kind of person who no longer feels horror or shock at the horrifying and shocking parts... that's called being desensitized. Not such a good thing for the spirit.

I know there are plenty of arguments against this opinion of mine. But my bottom line is to be found in my own feelings. I simply don't want ugly, horrifying, profane, shocking, awful things floating around in my memory. They make their marks in my emotional book of life that are difficult to erase. I don't want that. I want to fill my mind with ideas and stories that are edifying, uplifting, joyful, beautiful and full of good things. I suppose this could be called an emotional rather than a logical argument, but it is none the less valid for that. As a matter of fact, show me an argument that is all logic and no emotion and I'll be looking at something that's empty of real worth. Because the day my head rules my heart is the day I've left charity and compassion--those truly essential qualities--behind and that's something I hope never to do.

[And don't talk to me about "reality" being ugly. I have something to say about that too. Another day....]

I think that in books, the end does not justify the means. I don't want to wade through an ugly story just for an educational ending. It's like smacking your kid when he's sassy. It's got shock value and maybe he'll be quiet. But it leaves a nasty feeling and you have to ask the question: Will the child will really learn not to be sassy or will he just learn to keep his mouth shut around you, the person who smacks when displeased? One is learning to be polite and the other is learning WHEN to be polite--or else! The ends not only do not justify the means, but do the means even bring us the ends we seek? I'm thinking NOT. I'm thinking that this approach may be a total loss.

And. Finally. This is why I won't be reading The Kite Runner with my book club this month. :) It figures that I have to spend an hour or so working out my feelings about this. I can't just DO stuff, you know, I have to figure out all the reasons behind it. And it takes me a lot of words to do this. So this is why I blog. To save my loved ones from death-by-talking-it-out. I may be wordy and opinionated, but I am compassionate. Mostly.

6 comments:

Evans' Haven said...

Here is a quotation from a book I am currently reading called Teacher in America, by Jaques Barzun: "There is . . . a directness, almost a crudity, about great art that many cannot stand. It brings life too close to the observer, who feels alternately scorched and chilled. Art may be beauty, but it is not easy beauty. It lacks the smooth contours that conventional moods and words insure."
Of course, I think that deliberate ugliness and crudity is no longer art, because of the aestheticist in each of us--truth is beauty. In another place in the same book he says, "The only thing worth teaching anybody is a principle." So, is there a principle to be learned from Catcher or Kite Runner? if so, does it teach it or bludgeon with it? I have read The Kite Runner, and felt that it was not worth reading. How many people who read it enlarge their circle of influence to try to protect those who are discriminated against, especially in another country or of another race? It may cause eyes to be opened to attrocities that are continually committed, but I don't think the book is changing lives. Except mine, I have to say. I began to donate a small monthly sum to an organization I believe is really capable of changing the world, and began a more intense study of the things I need to know to change my little part of the world. We'll see if it helps. In the mean time, I'm not reading any books like that any more.

Sami said...

When I was a freshman in high school I chose Tess of the Durbervilles to read for my English class. I remembered, as a married adult, having read that book and enjoying it very much. So I picked it up at the library and read it again. Whoa!! I just didn't get it back in high school. Either that or my memory just chose to erase all the horrible stuff in it. I walked around for months (ok, years) in shock that 1)it was an option to read at 14 years old and 2) that I remembered liking it!!

I totally agree that books can take too much liberty in what they call "classics" or "history" or any of the other stupid words they use to justify the horrid nature of the book.

Therefore, I try to refrain from the "classics" and stick to books that are recommended by trusted friends and family.

With life as it is, reading is not top on my list, but I do enjoy it when I can. Mostly religious books for now, but occasionally a book for pleasure.

Thanks Audrey for making me think about this. I enjoyed escaping reality for a few minutes!! :0)

Sami Thompson

Audrey said...

Becks, you are so intelligent! I wonder what defines "great art" anyway? Great to whom? If "many cannot stand" this directness and crudity, then why would the art be called "great"? Give me great GOOD and that can be called "great", don't you think? And while I nodded my head at "The only thing worth teaching anybody is a principle", that statement can cover a whole host of ills in the name of principle, wouldn't you agree? I think more needs to be included in "the only thing worth teaching..." idea.
However, my philosophy is so totally suited to my character. I am easily shocked, easily hurt and shocking images stay in my head and distress me for many many days. I'm also non-confrontational, as you know. This is why I don't feel I can apply my philosophy to education in general. I wouldn't want to label my way of being as the best or only way of being, you know?
You know, one of the things I love about you is that we agree in so many things in principle but we have quite different viewpoints, so it is always illuminating to share thoughts with you. I love that.

Audrey said...

Sami, I think some things we grow out of as we mature and some things we grow into. I loved Grease when I was in junior high school (like you liked Tess) but when I saw it as an adult I was unpleasantly shocked at how nasty it is and I wondered how the heck my mom ever let me see it! I don't remember any of that stuff when I was younger, so I guess it just went over my head.
When I was young I also really disliked books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Island of the Blue Dolphins. When I reread Island as an adult I liked it a lot better, and I probably should read Mockingbird again too. I hated them when I was younger because I thought they were painfully sad. I guess I've matured (a bit) enough to see around that now. So... maybe some things we should mature out of and some things we should mature into? :) Thanks for taking the time to "blog" with me, Sami. You are so good at friendship maintenance! I miss you!

Aubrey said...

Thanks for a thought provoking post.

I read most of the books you listed in high school and I graduated from high school in Happy Valley, Utah.

I don't feel scarred from any of them, though perhaps like sami, I just didn't "get it" either. I read The Giver growing up and it didn't bother me, but now I can't read it at all.

Though I can't speak for my English teachers, I feel like a large portion of English Lit. is learning how to read, think, and critically analyze. Books give you a chance to do this. Darker subjects force you to analyze circumstances you probably wouldn't face through your own experiences (thankfully).

Also, I don't think it is necessarily so easy to draw an uplifting/titillating line. For example Cry, The Beloved Country was very inspiring to me, despite its rougher moments. However, I found Jack Weyland's Charly horrifying. There is nothing outright offensive in it, yet the tragic pictures I imagined while I read it cling to my memory.

Audrey said...

Aubrey you are right. (I like Cry the Beloved Country too and I did not like Charly.)
I think that what I so dislike is being manipulated into feeling strong emotion. In fact, my general opinion on books (and movies) is distilled from my own emotional preferences (which I then follow in choosing literature for my children--poor darlings :D).
I admit to not understanding anyone's desire to allow negative emotion to be created in oneself with no reference to the reality of his/her own life, but I know there are lots of people who love movies that make them cry and value books that make them feel things that are outside of their realm of experience. But this is so not me (perhaps I'm not very brave emotionally?). In fact, it is so repugnant to me personally that I needed to build up an entire point of view to validate it for myself. As with all my opinions, I totally believe and know that my opinion is ONLY mine. And I love hearing stuff that is different from what I think. How could I figure out my own opinion without its juxtaposition against the opinions of others? So thanks. I'm tickled (my grandma used to say that and I think it's kind of cute) that you're even reading. I appreciate it.